Saturday 17 January 2009

School "brother" system

I mention this because I realise I haven’t until now and I’m reminded on Friday when J says hello to his “school brother” when he passes him in the street.

The school run a mentor system, whereby new children are allocated a “school brother / sister”, ie one of the Grade 6 children who has been in the school for a long time. It’s only J who has the “school brother” so I assume that the individual is assigned our family rather than just J. But it’s encouraging that they do this to help children settle, and I’m aware once more that whilst the school might not wear its pastoral care on its sleeve, it’s definitely there in the heart of the place.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Hi there, I love your blog, thanks for sharing your experiences...I got to your site thru one of the yahoo-groups (I think) that Carmen moderates. Anyway, we are a bi-lingual family, Irish/Dutch, and we have our two kids in local school as well (First Grader and 1st year KiGa). Keep on writing, I love reading your stories! Marie in Hunenberg ZG