Saturday 1 November 2008

Tragedy in Dietlikon

Tragically, on Monday in Dietlikon, an 11 year old girl is run over and killed coming home from school for lunch. On the Friday I happen to drive past the spot where the incident occurred – apparently on one of those nasty zebra crossings on blind corners. It is extremely distressing and my heart goes out to the bereaved family. I’m not going to get into a debate about the safety of children walking themselves to and from school, as to do so would be wholly inappropriate when a family nearby is suffering the tragic and dreadful loss of a child in what are, in Switzerland, absolutely everyday circumstances. However, I now fully intend to change my children’s route to school so that they’re not scooting or walking along the road frequented by the stone carrying lorries from the local quarry that drive too fast for my liking.

No comments: