Tuesday 26 August 2008

Let me introduce the family







We have OH (Other Half) – my husband and the boys’ Dad, who works for a Swiss firm and likes cycling, skiing, gardening, cooking, reading and real ale. And real wine. His German language skills are considerably better than mine, but become very entertaining after a few drinks, when he starts randomly throwing English words into sentences when he can’t find the right vocabulary, making the perfect Deunglish and utterly confusing all native German speakers around him.


We have our elder son J, who, at the time of writing is 9 and a half. He is small, blond, witty, musical and great fun, He also talks a great deal, and was never going to let a language barrier get in the way of making friends and communicating generally. He is a big rugby fan, and is very proud of having broken his collar bone taking part in his third match last year.
We have our younger son C, who, at the time of writing, is 7 and a half. He is also small, blond, musical and great fun but has difficulty getting a word in edgeways due to his elder brother being a chatterbox, but we try to encourage him without too much yelling at J. He should, in fact perhaps be nicknamed Linus as he is still attached to his thumb and blankie and is now learning piano. Well he will be again, as soon as I can find him a teacher here.

And we have me, KT. I am small, not as blond as I used to be, and rather rounder than I should be, but I’m working on that bit. I’m also working on my German language skills, which are, sadly, still at pidgin level after a year in Zurich.

No comments: